When it comes to choosing a suitable mattress for obese people, we have to consider a few different factors than with thin people. We all want to have a good night and to wake up rested and refreshed. But if our bed sags and sinks after a few months it’s not going to work, right?
It’s relative what’s considered overweight or heavy these days. Some people can be regarded as heavy at 150 pounds while some are not even at 200. Even though these mattresses can support up to 300 lbs, we are going to say that 200+ pounds are considered heavy / larger or overweight.
- 1 Top 10 Best Mattress for Heavy People 2018 – Reviews
- 1.1 Purple mattress – Performance Mattress for Obese
- 1.2 WinkBeds Mattress – Inner Spring Mattress for Heavy Person
- 1.3 Sapira Mattress
- 1.4 Tempur-Pedic Contour Rhapsody Luxe Mattress
- 1.5 Ghostbed Mattress
- 1.6 Sleep Innovations Shiloh 12-inch Memory Foam Mattress
- 1.7 Perfect Cloud Elegance Gel-Pro 12 Inch Mattress
- 1.8 Ultimate Dreams King Size Supreme Gel Memory Foam Mattress
- 1.9 Classic Brands Mercer 12 Inch Hybrid Cool Gel Memory Foam and Innerspring Mattress
- 1.10 Brentwood Home Cypress Gel Memory Foam Mattress
- 2 How to Choose the Best Mattress for Obese People
- 3 Best Type Of Mattress for Heavy Person
- 4 Benefits Of Owning a Bed For Heavy People
- 5 Overall
Top 10 Best Mattress for Heavy People 2018 – Reviews
To provide the best possible sleep experience for overweight, heavier or average people, we have chosen the top 10 best mattress for heavy people on 2018 and test it over 60 days by 200+ pound person.
Purple mattress – Performance Mattress for Obese
According to Purple, the weight threshold of their mattress is 300 lbs. per person. That means it can support 600 lbs. total assuming each person weights 300 lbs. What I especially like about this mattress is how cool it sleeps. Hot air passes right through the polymer elastic grid just below the mattress ticking so you won’t sleep hot at all on this mattress. It also supports you very well and won’t leave you sore in the morning. The Purple mattress uses a very unique technology at a very competitive price. Best of all they have a free trial money back guarantee so there’s no risk in trying it out. There is some bounce with this mattress since the grid will recover instantly which makes it super easy to change positions at night. I recommend the purchasing the Purple bed frame along with the mattress because the purple bed frame will support up to 4,600 pounds without bending or breaking!
- Great value for the money
- Purple’s Unique Smart Grid Design
- 100 Night risk-free sleep trial
- Made in the USA
- Only available in four sizes – not available in typical Twin or Full
- Extra shipping fees for shipment to Alaska and Hawaii
- Edge of the bed support insufficient for oversized people
Review: Best mattress under 1000
WinkBeds Mattress – Inner Spring Mattress for Heavy Person
There’s just no substitute for a good spring mattress. Some people just crave that bounce and beyond that, it is still the best material for support. You want to make sure that you get a quality mattress that has quality coils. The Winkbed has a pocket coil system with reinforced foam edge support so you won’t feel like you are rolling off your mattress. The micro coils above the pocket coils provide extra support and enhance breathability. They also use a very light layer of foam for good cushioning without feeling stuck in the mattress. The cover is made of Tencel which a very breathable material, sleeps cooler than cotton and wicks away moisture. Many people compare the Winkbed to a luxury hotel mattress.
- Unique Hybrid Construction: Winkbeds stands out with its eco-friendly marriage of foam and springs that gives you the best of both worlds.
- Optional Foundation: Winkbeds lets you purchase a matching foundation for your mattress if you like.
- Free Shipping and Returns: Winkbeds offers free shipping and returns for all purchases.
- Relatively Expensive: Winkbeds isn’t one of the most affordable mattresses to come out of the whole e-commerce mattress revolution.
- Can’t Try Out Before Purchase: Much like most online-only mattress offerings, there’s no way for you to try a Winkbed mattress before committing to a purchase.
Sapira mattress is a good fit for heavy people for a few reasons. All of the foams used in the mattress are high density, meaning they will be durable even for heavy people. The coil system is highly supportive as well. The mattress is 11 inches thick and there are 4 inches of foam before you hit the spring support system. This means you likely won’t “bottom out.” The mattress is firmer than average as well, which is generally a good thing for heavier people.
- Excellent support, thanks to the pocketed coil layer
- Excellent edge support
- Very little motion transfer = great for couples
- Bouncy feel = great for sex
- No choice of firmness
- Not cheap (but a lot cheaper than a store-bought equivalent)
Review: Best mattress under 500
Tempur-Pedic Contour Rhapsody Luxe Mattress
This Tempur-Pedic model is good for heavier people for a number of reasons. The mattress overall is 13.5” thick. While the company doesn’t disclose the thickness of each individual layer, you can tell pretty easily that the comfort layer is fairly thick as well.
The mattress is very heavy, so we can intuit that the foams are of high density. The mattress is medium firm to firm, so it’s right in the sweet spot for most heavy people.
- Good for stomach and back sleepers
- Good support for heavier body weights
- Excellent motion isolation
- Takes time to break in
- Expensive model, even within the Contour line
- Issues with quick foam compression
The Ghostbed overall is 11 inches thick. The comfort layer is 3.5 inches thick and overall I think the mattress is firmer than average. The mattress has high-density foams throughout its construction as well.
All in all, it’s a good option for those heavier sleepers who don’t want to pay thousands of dollars for their next mattress.
- Great support and overall comfort.
- Nice bounce
- Sleeps cool and stays fresh
- Excellent customer service
- A bit of off-gassing, which can be unpleasant for some people
- Not the best at insulating partners from each other
- Feels a bit firm, to some
- No special shipping or delivery options
Review: Best mattress under 200
Sleep Innovations Shiloh 12-inch Memory Foam Mattress
The Sleep Innovations Shiloh 12-inch Memory Foam Mattress uses its 2.5-inch SureTemp memory foam to keep the Sleep Innovations Shiloh 12-inch Memory Foam Mattress reviewtemperature down with this product. The firmness level is set to medium which is good for heavier sleepers. The Shiloh model comes in several sizes: Twin, Full, Queen, King, and California King.
The 9.5-inch Support-Plus layer of foam is sizable enough to provide strong support for big sleepers while keeping motion transfer to a minimum. The deeper base layer which uses high-density foam provides ample support for the head, spine and the joints during a peaceful night of sleep. Whether a side, back or stomach sleeper, the support is sufficient to avoid aches and pains come the morning while the SureTemp memory foam creates a comfortable top sleeping layer to rest on.
Depending on the weight of the sleeper, the 2.5-inch SureTemp memory foam top layer could see the person sinking most of the way through it. For a person in the 300+ pound range, it’s possible they could sink down to the Support-Plus layer below it too. For these people, the greater firmness of the second layer would be noticeable.
The SureTemp material has been formulated to stay heat neutral, rather than rated as cool. However, it’s only 2.5-inches thick, so heat has a chance to escape before it reaches the denser firm base below it. The Sleep Innovations Shiloh product is made in the USA and sold with a 20-year limited warranty.
- Great price
- Excellent motion isolation
- Above-average lifespan
- Although pretty long, the warranty is strict
- A few complaints about heat
- The cover can’t be removed for cleaning
Perfect Cloud Elegance Gel-Pro 12 Inch Mattress
The Perfect Cloud Elegance Gel-Pro 12 Inch Memory Foam Mattress is a luxuriously appointed sleeping product with a long warranty period. The Elegance model comes in Full, Queen, King, and California King sizes.
- The uppermost layer of the Elegance is a thin 1-inch layer of HD Air infused memory foam that is a soft surface to lie upon. The 1.5-inch of air infused memory foam below it is a little firmer and avoids the trapping of heat through it thin layer and more breathable memory foam use. The sleeper will find the memory foam conforms to the shape of their body and hugs it for a comforting feeling overnight.
- The third layer is a 2-inch Gel-Pro memory foam formulation that is the latest development from Perfect Cloud. The use of gel does wonders for managing heat levels at the third level before getting down to the solid base.
- The 7.5-inch HD base support is a higher density one than the foam layers above it and provides the ultimate in body support. Motion transfer and sound is virtually eliminated due to the thickness and quality of the materials used.
All the foams come with the CertiPUR-US certification.The stretch knit textile cover uses air transfer technology to wick away perspiration and moisture from the mattress.The product comes with a 30-day trial period and a 25-year limited warranty.
Ultimate Dreams King Size Supreme Gel Memory Foam Mattress
The Ultimate Dreams Supreme Gel Memory Foam Mattress is a 12-inch thick, three-layer foam-based bed. The mattress is Ultimate Dreams Supreme Gel Memory Foam Mattress Reviewavailable in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Full XL, Queen, Short Queen, King and California King sizes.
The firmness level is set right in the middle for a Goldilocks happy medium level of support.
This bed is a 12-inch gel memory foam one that comes in three separate layers:
- The first layer is a 1.5-inch gel memory foam layer (4 lbs) that provides comfort with the sinking-in feeling which happens within a few seconds of lying down on it. The thinnest of the layers along with the use of gel cells avoids heat buildup.
- The second layer is a 2.5-inch memory foam layer (4 lbs) which offers a bit more firmness while still molding to the contours of the body.
- The base layer is an 8-inch premium base foam which is high density to provide the overall support needed for the two plusher layers above it. No one sinks into a mattress more than 4-inches, but even if they did, the firmness of this base layer will stop any further sinkage. While softness is pleasant at the top, everyone’s spine requires proper support when lying down for 8 hours at a stretch.
The product is made in the USA and comes with a 30-day return policy.
Classic Brands Mercer 12 Inch Hybrid Cool Gel Memory Foam and Innerspring Mattress
The Classic Brands Mercer 12 Inch Hybrid Cool Gel Memory Foam and Innerspring Mattress uses a mix of design approaches with a plush top to tie it all together. The mattress is available in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, and California King sizes.
The attractively designed pillow top is the thing that one notices right away. It is a 0.5-inch cool gel, ventilated memory foam layer that conforms to the shape of the body. There are well-placed vents along the sides and edges of the mattress to let heat escape.
Three slim 0.25-inch comfort foam layers follow the pillow top one. The combination of slimmer than normal layers with built in ventilation along the sides and edges of the mattress ensure air flow and lack of heat buildup, which is a chief concern for buyers of foam or hybrid beds. All foam used is CertiPUR-US certified too.
The main foundational layer is a collection of individually wrapped steel coils that ensure hundreds of focused points of support. This type of spring mattress helps isolate movement across the mattress because only the affected coils get depressed or expand with position changes.
The hybrid design is different to other types because it offers ventilated, body conforming upper layers and a springy, responsive foundational layer that uses coiled steel springs. For heavy sleepers, often a hybrid bed presents an interesting new choice to consider carefully.
The quilted, knitted cover is a pretty one for sure. It ensures allergens, germs and dust mites won’t get inside the mattress and interrupt a good night’s sleep.
A 10-year limited warranty is provided.
Brentwood Home Cypress Gel Memory Foam Mattress
The Brentwood Home Bamboo Gel 13 Mattress comes in a range of depths from 9-inches right up to 13-inches. For heavy sleepers, the 13-inch depth model is going to be the best option. The firmness of the mattress is medium.
The mattress is available in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, and California King sizes.
With the 13-inch height model, the top layer is a 3.5-inch gel memory foam. The gel packs change from solid to liquid when absorbing heat to keep heat levels down. Below this layer is a 2-inch AirLux Ventilated foam layer that helps keep warm air moving. All foams are certified with the CertiPUR-US mark.
At the bottom is a 7.5-inch therapeutic support base that is higher density to ensure the bed stays in position and remains firm for the two layers above.
The use of gel memory foam avoids the type of heat buildup that’s so common with memory foam mattresses, especially the cheaper ones. The thicker support base isolates body movements while sleeping so as to not wake up the sleeping partner.
The bamboo zipper cover absorbs moisture thru the inner wool lining and offers good breathability. It is also washable.
The Brentwood Home Bamboo Gel mattress is made in the USA and has a 25-year warranty.
How to Choose the Best Mattress for Obese People
Although there are general standards that can help anyone choose a new bed, people with over 200+ pounds have special needs that should not be ignored.
1. Quality Materials
This is critical in most cases. Using lower quality materials will most likely result in sagging and worse sleep experience after some time. Even though most beds last for well over six years nowadays, if you opt for cheap products with low-quality materials you will most likely have to change it after 2-3 years. And that’s not something we want to do often.
If you have less than 200lbs a 10” bed is more than enough in most cases. If you are heavier than this, you will want to go for 12” or thicker with good deep compression support.
Have in mind that some products offer extra thick layers that provide enough support even at 10-11”.
You can decide your ideal firmness level by first determining your ideal sleeping position. Heavier people will require a medium to medium-firm. Your weight will create more sinkage and hug, and you might experience back pain. Expect additional 1-2” of sinkage if you are over 230-250lbs. Make sure to compensate that on a firmness scale by choosing 7-8 out of 10.
4. Cooling and Temperature Regulation
Most common complaint from overweight and larger people is that they get too hot during sleep. It usually happens when your mattress doesn’t have enough room to breathe and to provide enough air circulation.
In most cases foam material “sleeps hot” when compared to latex, innerspring and hybrids. These days this problem is solved if you don’t buy cheaper options and opt for more premium products. Most of these also have gel layer which serves as additional cooling material on top of your bed.
This isn’t mandatory, but it’s great to have if you use your bed during the day. If you frequently sit on the edge, this will play a significant role. It also means that your bed will be more durable and will last longer and is usually an indication of premium products.
Hybrid and coil-on-coil construction provide the best edge support.
Best Type Of Mattress for Heavy Person
There are many types and materials on the market today. Each style has their strengths and weaknesses when it comes to overweight people. In this section, we’ll break down the major bed types (memory foam, latex, innerspring, and hybrid) and how they affect heavy sleepers.
According to many large and more cumbersome sleepers, memory foam is one of the best bed types out there. Why?
Foam mattresses, whether they are on the hard or soft side, do a great job at evening out pressure points. One of the biggest complaints that obese sleepers have is that certain areas of their body end up hurting (i.e., their back or hips). Memory foam does a fantastic job of providing evening support that contours to the body.
Despite the numerous benefits, this mattress style can cause people to feel hot due to the lack of breathability in the material. Worry not, there are some great cooling memory foam options on the market today.
For overweight people, latex mattresses are a solid option as well. Latex is much better at keeping you cool, unlike most memory foam bed options out there. That said, you’re not going to get the same level of comfort that we discussed above.
If you’re on the heavy side and already experience pain while you sleep, latex isn’t your best option.
In most cases, we do not recommend an innerspring style mattress for big guys and girls. That’s because most of the beds will create pressure points, which often leads to pain. As discussed above, memory foam is your top choice if you’re most concerned with keeping your weight even (avoid pressure points).
If you do decide to purchase an innerspring, make sure to go with a high-quality option that uses a coil-on-coil build. This technology uses two springs which make the support better, especially for big people.
Besides, your bed will last longer with coil-on-coil vs. a cheaper alternative — one of the biggest complaints of innerspring is that the support and comfort don’t last long.
As the name suggests, a hybrid mattress is simply the combination of two or more types. Unless we know the exact bed you’ve chosen, we can’t say whether it’s a perfect match for you or not.
A great hybrid option would be a memory foam and latex bed. Foam offers the most pain relief which is something heavy people deal with while sleeping. And the latex can help keep your body cool at night.
Benefits Of Owning a Bed For Heavy People
The worst part about owning a product that is not good for you is that you might not realize it until you get one that makes the difference.
If you are a heavy person, it can get even worse with a bad mattress: back aches, inadequate support and high temperatures during sleep can make your nights everything but enjoyable.
On the other hand, if you happen to take the time to know what to search for when buying a new bed, you can end up with something that will change your life. Not only can neck and lumbar pains disappear, but you could even get one that will help regulate the heat at night, making your sleep a much cooler one.
Moreover, your body will be supported, and you won’t feel like you are sleeping on a water bag. All of these things together can improve your body’s posture, muscular health, and even your mood! Because who does not wake up bad-tempered the morning after a bad night?
Having these aspects in mind, we have compiled the top mattresses for overweight people that we found in our research.
Hopefully, my reviews and guides about mattress for heavy people makes some sense. If you follow this advice, you should be well on your way to picking a great mattress. Good luck!